combining two clauses

Hi,

Is the following sentence correct? I am trying to give two main reasons, why I bought a car, in one sentence. My logic is even if I remove the first reason part, the sentence should sound correct.
Please suggest improvements, if any.

We decided to buy a car because (1) [color=blue]almost all our friends now have cars, and (2) [color=blue]of the hardships we suffered the last winter because of the severe weather.

Thanks,

MG.

No, it does not work because ‘because’ is a conjunction while ‘because of’ is a preposition.

Mister Micawber,

Thanks. How about the following sentences?

1. We decided to buy a car as almost all our friends now have cars, and because of the hardships we suffered in the last winter’s severe weather.

2. We decided to buy a car mainly for two reasons: first, almost all our friends now have cars, and second, because of the hardships we suffered in the last winter’s severe weather.

Yes, those are structurally OK, MG, but both seem rather formal for the subject. Why not something like:

We decided to buy a car because last winter was hard without one, and most of our friends have one.

thanks.