cleanse makeup vs. clean makeup

I wrote a sentence, ‘Cleansing makeup is more important than putting it on’. A native speaker read it and changed ‘cleansing makeup is~’ to ‘cleaning makeup off is~’. I asked why, and he said it’s just awkward. I used ‘cleanse’, because there are cosmetic products like cleansing cream, cleansing oil, cleansing tissues, etc. I looked up some dictionaries, but I don’t know why ‘cleansing makeup(or to cleanse makeup)’ is not possible. Would you tell me why ‘clean off’ is used in that sentence instead of cleanse?

Thank you in advance! :wink:

You are not cleansing the makeup– you are cleansing your face of the makeup. So you could write:

Cleansing one’s face of makeup is more important than putting it on.

What the native speaker gave you is a more colloquial version: cleansing one’s face of makeup = cleaning makeup off.

Hi, MM

Can we say cleaning one’s face of makeup together with cleansing one’s face of makeup?
If we can, then I take it that cleanse is more formal than clean, isn’t it?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I think you’re right. ‘Cleansing’ mostly appears on bottles of product.

Thank you! Your answers were really good and helpful. :smiley:

Hi sweety,

You can also say “Taking off your make-up is more important than putting it on”.

In fact, the cornerstone of beautiful healthy skin is a strict and correct cleansing regiment. :smiley:

Nina

Thank you for good expression, Nina! As you said, I try to take off my make-up for healty skin as soon as I get home from work! :smiley:

…but ‘regimen’, not ‘regiment’!

Yes, sir!

Funny, I was so confident when I wrote that. :lol: Thanks!