Classmates are a more important influence than parents on a child, agree/disagree

Please check on my essay and correct it wherever it need to, thanks a lot.

[color=darkred]Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Classmates are a more important influence than parents on a child’s success in school. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It seem to be a automatical statement that classmates are a more important influence than parents on a child in school, because classmates spend most of their time learning and playing together. But without enough guidance and support from their parents, children are unlikely to succeed in school.

First of all, while classmates could bring benefits to each other on their learning, but children often show less restraint when facing more fancy activities, such as online games, which they might easily indulge in along with their friends from the class. By comparison, parents play a much more crucial role in keeping children from immersing overmuch in any other things but learning and ending up failing in school.

No parents would want their children to have bad performance in school, they will guide their children to make things right. A famous mother in recent years, a professor of Yale Law School, also known as “Tiger Mother”, who has reared two successful daughter in a strict and demanding method. This method includes ten disciplines of to-do and not-to-do list, all about it is to advise the children on their studying. A recent news is that one of her daughter recently recieved two enrollments from Yale and Harvard university at the same time. Although the event has evoked lots of controversies between different aspects of child-raising, but except for the controversial part, what we could infer from the event is parents indeed are a most important influence on building children. In contrast, classmates usually do not have such powerful effect on each other. Children often get together to dig in somethings just because they are cool enough, that will be good if that ‘somethings’ are of education. But if not, it should be worried by the parents.
In fact, to children’s mind, a cool thing is often not associate with education unless there is proper guidance from adults, such as parents. Not to mention the cool thing might even danger. Compare with it, by using suitable approach to rearing, children could thrive with the help of their parents, at least in school.

Additionally, a supportive parent will help their children not only to have a good school life, but to be confident enough to succeed in school. For example, children might being bullied by other classmates when they are not familiar with each other or just by the bad guy. Nothing but a tender mother and a wise father could help with that. The mother could comfort the sobbing child by offering a hearty meal, and the father then help the child to choose either fighting back or learning how to get along with the others. When children recovered with the tips, they will try to be nice to others and maybe then gain some friends in school. Along with children’s school life gets better, it will be more easier for children to get help in studying. Besides, Research demostrates that children who have great support from their parents often project enough confidence in almost every fields. In this case, for instance, when they have troubles in learning, they tend to solve the problem other than avoiding it. Better relationship and enough confidence thus lead to a better chance of success in school.

In conclusion, despite the more frequent contact with each other among classmates, it is not the classmates but the devoted parents who give out their love and support, and have more important influence that could make the children start down the right path and eventually succeed in school.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students in their first class of the term

Hi, You have written a good essay. I have tried to make some corrections, but have had a couple glasses of wine tonight, so take all my suggestions with a grain of salt (please look up this idiom for homework :wink: )

Hi, thank you very much for your help and sorry for the delay. I’m glad I even got a homework which I think it’s a great way to learn stuff. Hey look, you really are a teacher, right? :wink:

Here is my answer regarding the homework. “A grain of salt” is an idiom which means to look at something with skepticism or not to take it literally. “Salt” also stands for “wit” in Latin which is the origin of the idiom. The idiom’s latin form – “Cum grano salis” – could also be translated as “with a grain of wit”. And in Italian, which derives from latin, “gain of salt” means “a little bit of intelligence”. So, when we do something “with a grain of salt”, it means we do it with a bit of intelligence or care.

In our case, it means you don’t want me to regard your corrections literally because of the hangover. But, I beg to differ, I believe what I got is real, because “after wine, out comes the truth”. :wink:

By the way, so sorry for the misspelling and the other trivial mistakes of my essay, it must be very annoying especially when you read it with a dizziness in the early morning. I’ll try my best to avoid it.

Thanks again! Wish you have a wonderful Christmas holiday! :slight_smile:

Bbw - you did a great job with your homework! I read that the ancient Romans thought that salt was an antidote to poison. So they would eat a grain of salt with something they thought might be poisonous. So saying “take this with a grain of salt” means, “I can’t assure you of the safety of this, so you might want to take precautions.”

I do have to admit that “after wine, out comes the truth” - I will have to remember that one.