Classes should be held with open discussions between the professor and students

Hi dear Luschen, I would be kindly obliged if you could review this essay. Again, thanks a lot for your generosity.

Some students prefer classes with open discussions between the professor and students and almost no lectures. Other students prefer classes with lectures and almost no discussions. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Nowadays, a great number of classes with a variety of subjects are held all around the world and in several universities. These classes play a major role in students' future lives, as they ought to provide valuable information for syudents. The question of whether or not such classes should be held with open discussions between the professor and students or not is an interesting inquiry and should receive great attention. Although many people might support the former idea, that is holding classes in with open discussions, in my opinion it is not a good decision for two main reasons.

First, open-discussion classes are not usually well organized. In other words, sometimes the discusions do not focus on a unique subject. For example, when I went to the University of Houston for my Bachelor of Science, we had a History class which was held in an open-discussion manner. Unfortunately, most of the time students included their own beliefs and points of view into the class and the professor was almost always trying to convince them that they are in a wrong direction. Besides, many discussions did not result in a final conclusion. For me, this was a complete waste of time, and to be honest, that class could not provide me many things helpful. As is obvious, such classes cannot give the pupils what they really need.

Second, the content of classes with lectures rather than with discussions is usually much more valuable. For instance, when I went to the University of Texas at Austin for my Master of Science, we had a class specific for Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Structures which was held by professor Bayrak. The professor was a real genius and was extremely expert in the field. As a result, his lectures contained lots of invaluable information and every body enjoyed this class. His comments on the subject matter made us familiar with the most important issues about earthquake resistant buildings. Besides, as nobody talked in this class and everybody just listened to the professor speech, students were much focused and could better understand the course. This type of management of the class resulted in no waste of time and energy, and did not mislead the students.

In brief, I personaly think that classes with just lectures and almost no discutions are very informative in comparison to open-discussion classes. Not only are they well-organized but also the content is more reliable and usefull. I believe that all universities should encourage both professors and students to hold classes in this way.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between an upperclassman and a freshman coed

Hi Ameri, I think this is your best essay yet. I really liked your detailed and personal examples and most of your writing sounds very natural, as well as being clear. You do have a couple of minor errors keeping you from perfection, so I would rate this a 4.5 out of 5.