Choose the word or phrase which best complete each sentence

Hello teachers,

Please help me to check this. Many thanks.

1. Most people were no longer listening to his long (irritable/ boring/ tiring/ annoying) story.
  2. There is often so much traffic on the main thoroughfares that motorists may be able to travel faster on (subordinate/ local/ district/ minor) roads.
  3. A force of desperate men burst out of the besieged city and (defeated/ broke down/ gained/ submitted) the army that had surrounded them.
  4. He says he would write an English course book if he could find a(n) (accomplice/ ally/ collaborator/ partner) to deal with the less interesting parts.
  5. The (savage/ wild/fierce/ untamed) cats that are still found in some remote places are distantly related to our friendly domestic companions.
  6. I should like to rent a house, modern, comfortable, and (before all/ above all/ first of all/ after all) in a quiet position.
  7. I have had a (success/ continuation/ repetition/ succession) of misfortunes.
  8. He had an (uneducated/ offensive/ objectionable/ offending) habit of emptying his and trays out of his upstairs window on to our doorsteps.
  9. The music aroused an (intense/ intentional/ intensive/ intending) feeling of homesickness in him.
  10. The jury (accused/ charged/ convicted/ acquitted) him of having communicated the robbery and he was then sentenced to five years’ imprisonment.
  1. local
  2. convicted

There are several other mistakes in the sentences; they are not carefully written.

Mister Micawber, thank you so much for the correction.

Could you explain about the words “local” and “convicted”. Why the word “convicted” was wrong?

Many thanks.

‘Convicted’ is not wrong; it is right. But you chose ‘accused’. And ‘local roads’ is the appropriate phrase for secondary roads as alternatives to main thoroughfares.

Dear Mister Micawber,

Thank you so much!