cash register systems and working at the checkout?

Hi,

I’m currently translating a document that describes the syllabus of a German occupation program for retails sales people. Could you please take a look at this expression (as part of the syllabus):

• cash register systems and working at the checkout

Or maybe “cash register systems” and “operating the till”?

Would that be correct English? By the way, is ‘till’ the British term for ‘checkout’?

Thanks a lot,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about a Dan Brown movie[YSaerTTEW443543]

Americans use the word “till” almost exclusively in the expression “to have one’s fingers in the till”, which means to be embezzling. When Americans hear that word, they usually think of dishonesty. So for an international audience it would be better to use some other term than “till”.

Thanks for that, Jamie. So does ‘cash register systems and operating the checkout’ sound OK?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Making travel arrangements for Brisbane and Cairns[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

‘Till’ is still used and of course the reference to ‘fingers in the till’ applies here, too or you can describe that person as having ‘sticky fingers’. Interestingly we have taken on the word ‘checkout’ for the actual place where you pay in a supermarket but the piece of paper telling you what you have paid is known as a ‘till receipt’.

Alan

“German occupation” has a strange ring to it. :shock:

Are you sure it’s the right collocation?

Told you that dialect was creeping in, didn’t I. You’ll all be saying “Did you eat yet?” next.

I had the same thought actually, Torsten. I suggest: a German vocational program.

And yes, this sounds fine to me, too: Cash Register Systems and Working at the Checkout.

Can someone please tell me if this phrase is good English:

• cash register systems and operating the checkout

It’s supposed to be part of the things sales trainees are taught throughout their occupational program.

Thanks a lot,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Switching careers[YSaerTTEW443543]

Oh, that was weird-- a hole in the space-time continuum.

Yes, operating is OK too.

Hi Charles,

Thanks a lot for your immediate response – we obviously were writing our messages at the same time.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Offering a fruit salad[YSaerTTEW443543]

You are right, Molly. It does sound strange and might be the right collocation to talk about the events that started WWII. As Charles suggested, ‘German vocational training’ is certainly much better. Thanks for pointing it out.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Trying to reach a co-worker on the phone[YSaerTTEW443543]

Jamie, what is the American equivalent to “till records” and “cashing up” (the process of emptying the till at the end of the day and checking the amount of money in it against the till records).

Thanks a lot,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about utility expenses[YSaerTTEW443543]

Or the arrival of your countrymen/women here in Spain, each year. :lol:

I’m not sure what we would call “till records”. I think instead we talk about the “cash register totals” or the “register totals”. It’s one of those cases where one country talks about a thing, and the other country talks about the records of the thing. (That’s a problem I often have when translating, for example.) “Cashing up” is called “closing the cash register”. I think you can also say “balancing the register”, and I know for sure that bank tellers “balance” at the end of the day.

You got it right there.

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for that. I’m planning to create a word list/glossary that contains words and expressions which frequently occur throughout the text so we can come up and stick to the same English equivalents. I’ve also received an English version of the Berufsbildungsgesetz (Vocational Training Act) and maybe we can incorporate some of its terminology into our translation.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Discussing work schedules[YSaerTTEW443543]

And is ‘checkout receipt’ the American equivalent to the British term ‘till receipt’?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Business interview[YSaerTTEW443543]

“Cash register receipt”.

Thanks a lot.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Two co-workers are discussing a flight[YSaerTTEW443543]

I think you require just the noun ‘cashier’ - one who recives and pays out maney at a bank, shop or restaurant or any organization.
nanucbe