Car ownership can increased rapidly-essay

Hi,
Would you pls let me have yr opinion on my essay.
Br,
Tara

Car ownership can increased rapidly over the past thirty years that many cities in the world are now " one big traffic jam"
How true do you think that statement is?
What measures can government take to discourage ppl from using their cars?

In recent years,mega cities have been faced with the problem of traffic jam in which commuting by car ownership have made it worse over the past thirty years.
I agree that the most metropolises and big cities are faced by many single- occupant cars who using their personal cars for commuting in all over the cities. Moreover, the production of affordable-price cars has increased and ppl prefer to have their own cars instead of using public transportation. In addition, owing the car may improve the quality of their lives.
There are alternative solutions to this problem to make ppl lessen their reliance on private cars, of which reviving poor public transportation can be the main one.the government should develop public transportation by duplicated the quantity of them. Also , decreasing in commuting cost can encourage ppl to use public transportation more.furthermore, single- occupant cars could be banned in certain hours,for example at peak hours of a day. The government could prohibiting them by hefty fines.also, the government can encourage industries to move to the suburbs by incentive them.
In conclusion, it is clear that traffic jam is a big concern todays and single- occupant cars should be decreased by improving poor public transportation,prohibiting single- occupant cars in certain areas and creating industry towns in suburbs.

TOEFL listening lectures: What is the main difference between a fad and a trend?

1 Like

Hi Tara, welcome to the forum. Sorry for my delay, I have been busy in Christmas preparations. Your essay is pretty clear, but you do have quite a few sentences that sound a little awkward. You have addressed the prompt well and have some good ideas. You never really expllictly say if you agree that cities are “one big traffic jam” - maybe you could specifically state the degree to which you believe traffic is a problem. I am sure “one big traffic jam” is at least somewhat of an exaggeration. You did do a good job in outlining some steps that could be taken to alleviate traffic. Here are some specific suggesions:

1 Like

Is the first sentence Tara used correct?
Would you please let me have yr opinion on/about my essay.
I think people write their opinions about something not on something.

1 Like

I think “on” or “about”, or even “of” would sound ok here. This article pretty much sums up my feelings:

dailywritingtips.com/opinion … ion-about/

This is a neat tool that searches millions of books for particular phrases - you can see that “opinion of” is much more popular, but decreasing over time:

books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c … ut%3B%2Cc0

1 Like

Many many thanks Luschen :pray:

1 Like