Can I use a clause after "despite" or "in spite of"

Can I use a clause after “despite” or “in spite of”?

If you mean things like like “despite I asked him” or “in spite of the rain was heavy”, no, these are ungrammatical.

Otherwise, please give some examples of what you mean.

Many middle class individuals find that they cannot obtain good medical attention, despite [color=red]they need it very much.
This is the example? Is it correct use of despite?

Not quite, you would need to add a statement (and ‘very much’ isn’t really needed):
…despite the fact that they need it.

‘in spite of’ would not work without the addition either:
… in spite of the fact that they need it.

You could also say:
… despite needing it

Why [color=brown]very much isn’t really needed? I think It emphasize the verb.

What if I don’t use[color=blue] “the facet that”? Why it do not work?

You mean “the fact that”.

“despite they need it very much” does not work for the same reason that my first two examples don’t work. You can’t put a full clause, with subject and predicate, after “despite” or “in spite of”. Adding “the fact that” turns “they need it very much” into a noun phrase, which then satisfies the grammar.

Many middle class individuals find that they cannot obtain good medical attention despite the fact that they need it very much.
Is this correct?

Is there any more context? Is this supposed to be talking about the general provision of medical services, or about the sort of immediate medical attention that is required in the event of accident or emergency?

I don’t have more context.
Let this is supposed to be talking about the general provision of medical services. Then what is your comment?

… that they are in great need of it
is a neater solution.

I expect a comment from Dozy also.
Dozy could you please put a comment?

As an aside, ‘expect’ is probably not the best word to use there. It implies an expectation on your part, but a lack of choice for Dozy. I don’t believe you really meant to be that abrupt about it, so a better phrase would be:
I’d like a comment from Dozy.
:slight_smile:

Thanks Beeesneees for you better advice.
But I don’t understand your following sentence.

Especially red part.
Could you please explain it to me with an alternative example?

I don’t believe that it was your intention to be that abrupt (brief to the point of rudeness) in your statement.

Do you think she meant to be that abrupt when she turned down your offer?