Business English Advanced Test 1

1. adj. The exciting new scheme offers investors not only a steady income stream, but also many …………… benefits.
    a. indifferent
    b. intricate
    c. intangible
    d. improved

2. n. Unfortunately, it appears that the …………… has fallen out of the retail sector. Many department store workers are now without work.
    a. bottom
    b. side
    c. rise
    d. ceiling

3. n. A recent …………… in clothing sales has caused many people to worry about the future of the textile industry.
    a. stimulus
    b. slump
    c. promotion
    d. termination

4. v. According to one CEO, companies which borrowed heavily last year may soon come to …………… this decision as their profit margins continue to shrink.
    a. lament
    b. enjoy
    c. worry
    d. succeed

5. adj. Several leading economists have voiced their concerns over the continued use of …………… marketing models. No two companies are alike, claim these economists. It is much better for each company to develop its own distinctive marketing strategy.

a. robust
b. unlikely
c. generic
d. competitive

1. v. The Promotions Manager had to work hard on her sales …………. for the new product. She wanted her presentation to be as effective as possible.
    a. demonstration
    b. test
    c. advertising
    d. pitch

2. adv. According to recent figures, the number of people seeking assistance from financial advisors has risen …………… in recent months.
    a. hopefully
    b. riskily
    c. astronomically
    d. hardly

3. adj + n. In several industry sectors, women are unable to reach the top ranks of their companies due to the so-called ………… ……………… factor. Men with equal skills are often promoted ahead of their female counterparts.
    a. hidden wall
    b. glass ceiling
    c. steep climb
    d. level playing-field

4. n. The price …………. between the older model and the more recent one is only small. This is because the original design was so advanced that it has changed very little in over twenty years.
    a. expense
    b. trade-off
    c. differential
    d. advancement

5. v. As punishment for his involvement in serious fraud, the financial director was ………… of his job title.
    a. rewarded
    b. divested
    c. exculpated
    d. denounced

1. adj.-- [Why is the part of speech indicated here?] The exciting new scheme offers investors not only a steady income stream, but also many …………… benefits.

2. adj + n. In several industry sectors, women are unable to reach the top ranks of their companies due to the so-called ………… ……………… factor. Men with equal skills are often promoted ahead of their female counterparts.
    a. hidden wall
    b. glass ceiling
    c. steep climb
    d. level playing field-- I think no hyphen; otherwise, we have to worry about whether there should be 2 hyphens!

(These questions seem familiar. Have I seen them before elsewhere?)

In some of the model tests I was linked up to, the part of speech was given. Yes, you have probably seen this exact test very recently indeed if you reviewed it for Torsten as I sent it to him as a sample of my work.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I didn’t get email notice that you had put all your tests on here, Snorman, sorry-- I’ll look through them as soon as I can.