Best Way to Learn English for ESL Individuals

In your opinion, what is the best way to learn English efficiently?

• Learn from English learning targeted books/learning material
  • Communicate in a social environment of native English speakers
  • Read English novels aloud in private
  • Listen and watch native English speakers talk on TV/Radio

0 voters

kinkarso.com/survey/index.php?sid=71759

Hmm… just curious. Help me out :D?

Thank You,
Donny

Great. Thanks to those who has completed the survey. I will be releasing the survey results after a few more publicly for everyone to view :).

I don’t think there is just one way, it all depends on the person and the circumstances, and will probably end up being a combination of many styles

thanks so much for this survey, I think with my votes addresses to where I’m into. I was working with telemarketing.

speaking of the best way, i don’t think the 2nd option is the best, cos in that way, you can only pick up pieces daily, but the first option is more holistic and systematic~~

I think it’s best if combine all these four activities and add a few of your own. As Boke said, there isn’t just “one” way. However, I had to pick just one out of the suggested for, I would always go for option two because it doesn’t exclude any of the other three techniques.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A crowded room[YSaerTTEW443543]

I cannot choose one of them because everything above is the best way for each.

I was expecting “All of the above” option as I read all the options.

Talking with native speakers is really profitable, as far as learnig is concerned. When you listen to something on the radio or on TV and you don’t understand, you can’t really stop them and ask what they just said - while talking to a native speaker you can. Reading books aloud only improves your fluency, but is not neccessarily a good way of learning. For example you may read well, but your pronunciation may suck, as no one can correct you.
So I agree that the best way is a combination of these 4, but option 2 is, in my opinion, the most effectual, coz when talking with native speakers you can learn both colloquial language or even slang, as well as some formal language, depends on who you’re talking with :slight_smile: But one has to bear in mind that while talking to native speakers, we can also learn the mistakes they make, and everyone makes mistakes, even in their mother tongue…

Hi Aro,

You are right – talking to and with native speakers can help you improve your English. However, as we established in this thread talking with a native speaker is no guarantee that you learn to speak English correctly. The efficieny of this method depends on a number of factors. For example, you may make the same mistakes all over again and because the native speaker understands you, they will not correct you. When a native speaker asks you something, you are forced to answer. The chances are that you don’t know the correct phrases to express your thoughts so you start making up your own phrases. Your native speaker might understand what you are trying to say but you are likely to use “incorrect” or “strange” sentences and expressions.

That’s why in addition to talking with a native speaker it’s very important to listen to native speakers talk with each other. You hear a question and instead of making up your own answer you also hear the response.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Shouldn’t Mr. Cobb be here by now?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Torsten, ever heared of Callan’s teaching method?

Yes, I’ve heard of the Callan method and saw it in action a couple of years ago at a school in Hamburg. Interestingly enough, the Callan Method project manager at that school was Polish and she had a lot of experience using the method back home in Poland. She told me that the Callan Method is very popular in Polish language schools. Have you tried it too?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather have juice or a soft drink?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I’ve never tried it, and I honestly think it’s rubbish, but as I’m not a teacher and have never practice it, I shouldn’t make my judges on it. However, what I mentioned Callan Method for is that it is effective and keeping in touch with foreigners is in a way a Callan Method of learning, wouldn’t you agree? But, as I mentioned earlier, I agreed that none of the 4 options on their own are a very good way of learning, a combination of all of them is needed. But I still think that out of all these 4, number 2 is the most effective.

Hi Aro,

I also think that the Callan Method has more drawbacks than advantages. However, if you read the Callan Teacher’s Handbook you will find some very interesting aspects of language aquisition as well as some very good advice on how to teach English. Here are a few examples: “The student should hear the spoken word before seeing it written. Because English pronunciation is so irregular, and many words are not pronounced as they are written, it is better for the student to hear the teacher pronounce the new word and use it in questions and answers before seeing it written…”

“Do not entertain – you will have to keep it up! The teacher should not set out to win over his students by entertaining them and making them laugh. If he does so, they will expect him to do it all the time, and it is a terrible strain to laugh and joke and be in a good mood for several hours a day. By sticking strictly to the Method, and approaching the lessons in a straightforward, business-like manner, the teacher will have no problems. His personality will come through just the same, and every now and again a laugh will come up despite the seriousness of the lesson, bu the moment the laugh is over, the teacher should get quickly down to business again.”

There is a lot of more very useful information contained in the Callan Teacher’s Handbook and I think the method itself is based on solid principles. Beginner will probably like the method because it helps them make progress extremely fast which in turn boosts their motivation and self-confidence. However, once you have reached a certain level the disadvantages of the Callan Method start to set in and you will become less inclined to use it.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: How many copies of the report do you need?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Just so everyone knows, my stats show that 75.86% have selected:

Communicate in a social environment of native English speakers

As the best method of learning English efficiently.

Thank you,
Donny