Be a mensch for once in your life

Hi, I’ve just read this tweet by Sandi Bachom, an American journalist who is desperately fighting for her life. She uses the phrase ‘be a mensch for once in your life’. Now, as you might know the word ‘mensch’ is the German word for ‘human being’. How many native speakers know and/or use the word ‘mensch’?

Donald Trump,

you will never see this, I’m just a 75 year old journalist in NYC. There were 13 deaths in Elmhurst Queens Hospital today. ALL New York Hospitals will be FULL Friday and I have a fever. Please help us. We know you hate us but, be a mensch for once in your life.

By the way, unfortunately it’s too late for Trump to turn into a mensch.

3 Likes

Hi Torsten,

I remember my mother telling me that there was also an American who once said: ‘Ich bin ein Berliner’. Do you know this story? If you do, please, refresh my memory and tell me who he was, because I can’t remember his name. Torsten, I’ve looked it up and it was JFK. Sorry!!!

3 Likes

@Torsten I haven’t heard anyone say this before. “mensch” - I understood what this word meant because in Afrikaans “mens” would be mean the same. :+1:

3 Likes

As it would in Dutch as well, I might add. :slightly_smiling_face: Oh and Andrea, is it true that in Afrikaans 'n driehoekiedoekie is a bikini?

3 Likes

@Masme Cool! A bikini is just a bikini here. I’ve never heard of anything other than this for a 2 piece.

Although we use this too:

English: swimsuit / swimming costume
Afrikaans: swembroek

:wink:

3 Likes

In Dutch we have ‘een zwembroek’, meaning swimming trunks for men. :grinning:

3 Likes

@Masme - Swembroeke kan vir mans, vrouens en kinders wees.

Ek dink mense kan dit ook “swemklere” noem. :+1:

3 Likes

In Dutch that would be: ‘Ik denk mensen het ook zwemkledij noemen.’ ‘I think people also call it swimwear’. Yet, I’ve never heard of the word swimwear, but I think it’s clear to all of you. :+1:

3 Likes

@Masme - We learn new things every single day! :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, it’s wonderful! I just love to learn new words and languages. :blush:

3 Likes

@Masme - Dis fantasties!! Dis dieselfde vir my! :wink:

1 Like

Does this mean “I like this” (Das gefällt mir)?

3 Likes

Dis dieselfde vir my. - It’s the same for me.

Das gefällt mir. - I like it. Ek hou daarvan.

3 Likes

Basically, I like learning languages too :slight_smile: (The same as @masme)

2 Likes

I think it means: ‘This is fantastic. The same goes for me.’ Jedenfalls es gefällt mir. :+1:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Reading all of this I recall an interview on the BBC with Joan Collins. She said: “As a child I was always interested in words. One day I and my mother took the train back to London and on one of the walls of the carriage/car was the F-U-C-K- word. I asked my mother what it meant and she said: ‘Oh, my God, if your father ever used that word, I would immediately divorce him.’ So, I went to all of the libraries to try and look up the word in every dictionary, but none of them had an entry for the F-U-C-K word.”
I thought that was rather funny. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, Torsten, I agree.

2 Likes

@Torsten - yes, for sure. Maybe you just a “special moment of blankness”. It’s quite ok - don’t worry! :wink:

3 Likes

Ha ha ha!! Very funny! Thanks for sharing! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes