At high temperature(s) and pressure(s)?

Hi

… stress tests are carried out in physically extreme operating conditions such as high temperatures, pressures, humidity[ ], and… bla-bla-bla.

In Russian we use high temperature[color=red]s, as well as ‘at high pressure[color=red]s’, but I’ve never seen it in English… and am being in doubt. :slight_smile:
Is it OK or it is just a non-native use?

(By the way, (at least) MS Word does not mind (has nothing against :)) those countable temperatures and pressures. :))

You can do this either way in English, Tamara-- either the uncountable or plural countable versions.

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

How about saying something like this: “I’m having my doubts.”

You could also say:

• “I’m doubtful about …”

[size=84]“I’m being in doubt” is understandable but just a tiny bit too “original” for my taste. [/size]:wink:

Thank God for small favors. :lol:

Hi Amy

‘I’m in (an) agony of doubt!’ 8) :lol:

Thank you very much!
(‘Thank you a lot!’ – is it an American way to say that?)

Hmm… mmmmy… doubts
That’s so funny in English – each time be concerned and carefully specify an owner of all those hands, feet, eyes, doubts, etc… talking definitely about yourself :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara!

“Ich habe da so meine Zweifel” (I?m having my doubts) that this is an English character only!

Michael

Isn’t it amazing how similar English and German sometimes are, Michael? :smiley:

The only trouble is that it’s tough to predict just where the similarities are going to turn up. :lol:

Hi,

Another one:

I’m beginning to have my doubts about Tony Blair, said George.

Alan

Yes, Amy, it is. For me, particularly since I could learn that it certainly is much more easy to learn English as a foreign language. And I must admit that some other users here do a great job while learning English as they apparently have a rather different structure in their native language.

Well, listening to BFBS always when I?m driving in my car I?ve been able to figure out that there are much more similarities, at least between German and British English. For example: every Saturday afternoon BFBS and WDR 2 report about the events in the premier ligues of football. The difference is that BFBS reports about the English premier ligue and WDR 2 reports about the German Bundesliga. :lol: If I continue listening BFBS in a short time I certainly will be more experienced about the happenings in the English premier ligue than about the German Bundesliga. :wink:

By the way, Alan, as I?m listening to BFBS while driving my car I obviously failed to keep possession of George?s sentence. But I?m washing my hands with innocence as I mostly probable paid my attention to the traffic. :roll:

Michael