At her trial, she was accused of being in league with the devils

Hello, I have just come across this phrase in my mock test today and I just don’t know what it means. Can you explain to me?
The phrase is “be in league with the devils” in the sentence “At her trial, she was accused of being in league with the devils”.
I have already looked up the dictionary and see the meaning of 'be in league with", but I feel pretty confused when looking at the definition of “devil - the most powerful evil being”. I just don’t understand this in this context. Is there any other meanings?

1 Like

The word “devil” can take on different meanings. The word ‘Devil’ is often used as a proper noun and might be viewed as the opposite or enemy of ‘God’. As proper nouns, ‘Devil’ would be the most powerful evil being, and ‘God’ would be the most powerful good being.

However the word devil is not always a proper noun. It’s less common to use the plural form “in league with the devils”. When used this way, it is not a proper noun. It is not a specific individual being. It’s a more general term. It’s means something like ‘demons’ or ‘evil monsters’.

1 Like