as the company is know

Caseamex, as the company is know, informed the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) on Monday that it had signed a contract to sell the animals to a company in China.
I think the bold is a mistake. It should be “as the company is known”. Am I right?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. I believe that you are 100% correct.

a. The company is knowN as Caseamex.

1. I also think (repeat: think) that it should say:

Caseamex, which the company is known as, informed …

a. I say this because if you were to diagram that sentence, I truly believe that it would be analyzed as:

Caseamex, the company is known as which, informed the … (“Which” is the relative pronoun; “as” in that sentence only introduces “which”:

That is, “The company is known AS Caseamex.” Another verb would not need “as”:

The company is called Caseamex.
Caseamex, which the company is called, informed …)

James

[color=red]The company is knowN as Caseamex. AGREE

[color=red]2. I also think (repeat: think) that it should say:

Caseamex, which the company is known as, informed …

Possibilities:
The company has an oriental name in China. The speaker gives a different name for the company since he is speaking to an occidental audience.
[color=indigo]Caseamex, as the company is known as in America, informed…
[color=black]and
[color=indigo]Caseamex, the name by which the company is known in America, informed…

[color=red]a. I say this because if you were to diagram that sentence, I truly believe that it would be analySed as:

[color=brown]Caseamex, the company is known as which, informed the … (“Which” is the relative pronoun; “as” in that sentence only introduces “which”:
Oh, NO! ‘which’ is the pronoun for a noun, and the noun here is ‘company’. At best it would be, [color=indigo]“Caseamex - the company is know as such (in America) - …”

The company’s actual name is “Cantho Import-Export Seafood”. Quite a mouthful, and that’s the reason for the nickname Caseamex, not because Americans don’t know how to type or pronounce chinese ideographs.

There are a lot of companies with nicknames. Before 1982, when it was broken up, AT&T was known as “Ma Bell” SLM is called “Sallie Mae”. IBM is known as “Big Blue”.

Screen is right; the original sentence only needs that missing n.

Thank you, James, Bazza and Steve, for your helps!