Is it correct to say:

A point of a diamond? or
The point of a diamond?

Hi,

Both make sense.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

The is correct

Well I even don’t understand the meaning. A point of diamond? A very small diamond?

Hi,

This would be: A point of a diamond.

Alan

A point of diamond.

“A point of diamond.” is very wrong. As Alan said, it should be “A point of a diamond.” Maybe you wanted to say “a tiny piece of diamond”?

I think if we want to imply a tiny diamond, we need to say A point of diamond because A point of a diamond may imply A point of some diamond we have seen or known before

Please observe “diamond” in *A point of diamond turned mass noun.

I know it is but what’s then?

Is this what you wanted to express in English?: “I know it. So what?”

Oh please dont laugh at me. I just think an a is necessary here

Never will I or anybody if you stop misleading people.

I still dont understand the difference between the two expressions. Could you tell me more carefully?

OK. *A point of diamond (alone) can never become a legitimate phrase. A difference between a phrase and a nonphrase is the difference.

Hello Blue_Snow,

Here is the definite and indefinite articles english-test.net/lessons/16/index.html with explanations. Please read about it and hope you will understand more on how tu use this articles. It’s very simple.

Let me know if you assimilate them.
Have a nice day.

Hi Skydegirl,

Thanks for promoting my article!

Alan

I hope this does not confuse the issue, but in diamond terminology, a point is a unit of measurement. One point is equal to 1/100 of a carat. If I were talking about the part of a cut diamond where it comes to a point, and I was using it figuratively, I would use the word tip.

He is as sharp as a/the tip of a diamond.

But if the context of the OP’s sentence had anything to do with diamond technology, it could very well be “a point of diamond” or “a point of a diamond”.

Hi Alan,

While others people help me to improve my English, I hope to be useful too as long as I can.

It was nice to talk to you.