Article Realted Question

I’m trying my best to learn articles and looking for your help, as far as general rule is concerned I’m fine with it but just lately I watched a video the person was giving some explanation which I didn’t understand. I believe he is right but I’m not able to understand :-

Please watch this video it’s very short and it’ll help you to make me understand. youtube.com/watch?v=UmjAshjr … re=related

He says :-

an mp3 player

a Euro
the USA
Note: I also didn’t understand the explanation which he gave for both of these

the FBI

PS: Please do me a favor, report to Admin that I was getting problem when I tried to upload an image and tried to submit the message, it was asking for login whereas I was already logged in. I tried twice but kept getting error then I removed the image and then I was able to submit my message.

I detect a tinge of a foreign accent in that guy’s voice (maybe I’m in the wrong, because I’m not a native speaker)
At any rate, if that is the case, I don’t think folloing his explanations to the letter is a good idea. There’s a good chance he has issues with articles himself. I always prefer to get knowledge straight from the horse’s mouth.

I also do prefer to learn only from native speakers and I already watched 2 other videos before the above one :-

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … CiA9BCRPBk
youtube.com/watch?v=Nbt4bvGI … re=related

but they didn’t quench my thirst so I was looking for more. Anyways thanks for the suggestion, I’m just waiting for moderators reply.

Use ‘a’ if the following noun starts with a consonant sound.
Use ‘an’ if the following noun starts with a vowel sound.
Pronounce ‘the’ to rhyme with ‘her’ if the following noun starts with a consonant sound.
Pronounce ‘the’ to rhyme with ‘me’ if the following noun starts with a vowel sound.

Use ‘a/an’ if you are speaking in general.
Use ‘the’ if you are speaking about one specific thing.

Can I have an ice cream please?
That is the ice cream I want.
I had an ice cream yesterday.
I had the ice cream you told me about yesterday.

I want an MP-3 player.
I want the same type of MP-3 player as you have.

With ‘the USA’, it’s not possible to use ‘a USA’ because there is only one specific USA.