Are the below mentioned sentences correct?

1. We offer space for local artist to display their work.
  2. We put our art work in the cafe for sale.
  3. We display out art works in the cafe with the purpose to gain local exposure.
  4. They always call for a meeting at/on short notice.
  5. He wanted to schedule a meeting at 2 days notice.
  6. What did you bet on in the football match? The most freekick/the end result/the player that score any etc.
  7. What is your bet on the match regarding?
  8. That school soccer team is a jinx to our team.

Are the above mentioned sentences correct? Please advise.

1 Like
  1. We offer space for local artists to display their work.
  2. We sell our art work in the cafe.
  3. We display our art work in the cafe to gain local exposure.
  4. They always call a meeting at short notice.
  5. He wanted to schedule a meeting at 2 days’ notice.
  6. What did you bet on in the football match? (The most free kicks/the end result/the player that scored any goals, etc.) << ‘the outcome’ is standard practicel, and in that case the question would be 'Who did you bet…)
  7. What is your bet on the match regarding?
  8. Their school soccer team is a jinx to our team. << ‘jinx’ would not usually be used in this way. You are not jinxed by the opposing team simply because you find it difficult to win against them. They are more likely to be described as a threat, challenge, etc.
1 Like

Sorry to poke my nose into it, but the term ‘jinx’ (8) is quite usual in the sports context, especially when you can’t explain why that same team, player, pitch etc brings you bad luck.

Did Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob jinx his team? Yes! He (probably) did!
Mickelson out to shatter US Open jinx
It is well established amongst my friends that I am a notorious jinx. I mean this when it comes to various sports teams and when they are in championship games.
Brazilians brand Mick Jagger World Cup jinx after he backed their team…

Sports lingo…

1 Like

You will note that in all those examples ‘jinx’ is used of someone on or supporting the same team, not someone on the opposing team.

You may be pleased to hear that “…Bale has suggested Wales are a “bogey team” for the Red Devils” [aka Belgium.] :wink:

1 Like

And of course he meant business, that man. Wales are in the semis and rightly so.
‘Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau’ soon to be heard again. :wink: