any other

Hello,

1. Do you have any other opinion?

2. Do you have any other opinions?

3. Is there any other apple on the table?

4. Are there any other apples on the table?

Would you please tell me which one is incorrect? Thank you

Generally, the singular uses ‘another’ rather than ‘any other’.
‘Any other’ is used in circumstances where you are emphasising the fact that there isn’t another apple, opinion, etc.

Thank you.

So, these two are incorrect, right?

1. Cheetahs are faster than any other animal.
  2. The cheetah is faster than any other animal.

No, those are fine. Note I said ‘generally’. I did not comment about your use of ‘any other’ in your sentences because without context it is not clear which form you need. In an obvious comparison, such as your later sentences, then ‘any other’ is correct where you are indicating all other types of animal.

Thank you.

Excuse me I have not understood completely. Let me tell you what bewilders me:

1. The cheetah is faster than any other animal. = [color=green]Correct
  2. Cheetahs are faster than any other animal. = [color=green]Correct
  3. Do you have any other opinion? = [color=red]Incorrect
  4. Is there any other apple on the table? = [color=red]Incorrect

This is my confusion:===> why can we use a singular noun after any other in 1 and 2 but we can not use a singular noun after any other in 3 and 4?

Sorry if I sometimes understand something late. Believe me sometimes it’s confusing.
Thank you

My take on it: other–used for referring to a different person or thing from the one already mentioned; The Greeks spend more money on food than any other nation in Europe. [you emphasize differences not similarities]
another-- one more person or thing of the same type as before; --‘These sandwiches are delicious.’ ‘Would you like another?’ [= one more sandwich]; --Here’s another news programme at ten o’clock. [= one more news program]

So I would say 3) is correct [= different opinion from the one already heard].
In 4) I would say: Is there any other fruit/another apple on the table?

Your take on it is not right

1. The cheetah is faster than any other animal. = [color=green]Correct
  2. Cheetahs are faster than any other animal. = [color=green]Correct
  3. Do you have any other opinion? = [color=red]Correct IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES, but often incorrect
  4. Is there any other apple on the table? = [color=red]Correct IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES, but often incorrect

Eugene has explained the different ways that these words are used.

If I got it right, the best sounded option would be: Do you have a different opinion? (‘Another opinion’ could be justified if said: Do we have to get another opinion?)
Correct me if I’m mistaken, the only way when 4) could be alright would be: I’m not satisfied with the apple you presented me: it’s round, it’s red, it’s sweet. Is there any other apple…? (Perhaps T-shaped, transparent and bitter).