another vs. other

Which word should I use in this sentence?
John will graduate in…2 years.
Thank you.

1 Like

You don’t need a word where you have indicated.

John will graduate in two years.

A word which could fit is ‘about’.

Of course. But this is an mcq whose work is to confuse students. I just need an answer from the two. Thank you.

From which two? You haven’t provided any options. I have, nevertheless, provided a correct possible answer.

EDIT:

I see now that you have included the two options in the title. Please provide all necessary text in the question, not just the title.
From those two, ‘another’ is correct.

Thank you. I’ll try to get rid of it. So, why can’t we choose ‘other’ as ‘two years’ is a plural noun?

It has nothing to do with whether the noun is singular or plural. The words have different meanings even though they look so similar.

‘Other’ means ‘different’ or ‘differently’ It is used to refer to a person or thing that is different or distinct from one already mentioned or known about:
stick the camera on a tripod or some other means of support
other people found her difficult

It can also mean the alternative of two:
not this one, but the other

‘Another’ here means ‘a further one (or other specified number)’
I didn’t say another word
they have two practices, one in the morning and another in the afternoon
she was to become another of his stars

1 Like

I’m still trying to get the common sense that Mr. Micawber proposed. It’s a hard but essential thing required to be an MA right? Thank you for the explanations.

Oh, common sense…
Yes, I’m trying to acquire that too. :smiley:

What? You, a native speaker, are also trying to get that common sense? Back to the topic, the Cambridge advanced learner’s dictionary proposes that ‘other’ can also mean additional and this makes me confused again. And, also, I’m confused about the expressions ‘another 2 weeks’, ‘2 other weeks’, ‘2 more weeks’. A practical English usage by Michael Swan says ‘other 2 weeks’ is different from the rest while Pocket learner’s grammar dictionary by John Eastwood says they’re the same.
E.g We have 2 more rooms upstairs = We have 2 other rooms upstairs.
Pls gimme some more\another some cups of coffee # some other cups of coffee.
My apology for some slang words as my typing skills are not quite good.

‘additional’ = a further one’ as I have outlined above.

another 2 weeks = an additional 2 weeks
2 more weeks = an additional 2 weeks
The course is so popular we should extend it for another two weeks/two more weeks.
2 other weeks = a different 2 weeks
I’m not available during the period you propose can we make the course two other weeks instead.
– In these phrases ‘other’ is different.

We have two more rooms = we have an additional two rooms
We have two other rooms = we have two rooms which aren’t these rooms, so they are different rooms (they may or may not be identical in appearance) … however, we don’t think in extensions like that, so in this example ‘other’ is equivalent to ‘more’.

‘Give me’, not ‘gimme’.

Please give me some more coffee. (No mention of the cup/quantity)
Please give me another cup of coffee (One more cup)
Please give me some other cups of coffee - would not normally be used, because you would expect the exact number required to be specified: Please give me three other cups of coffee (three more cups)

Thank you very much!

Thank you. In some cases, ‘other’ can mean different but in others it can mean additional right? And that’s the common sense?

Are you also concerned about this problem, Mkostya?

Is this sentence correct?
Surely Michael or other will help me.
What does ‘other’ imply here?

In how many ways can ‘other’ be used with a singular noun? Could you give me some examples?