An arrow and a dog-eared book

Hi Slava

Tonight I am asking this question again.

If you open any forum say English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms, you will see that some of the questions have an arrow towards a dog-eared book. Could you please explain to me why? Torsten’s recent question FOR CORPORATES? in the English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms forum has this symbol, i.e. an arrow and a book.

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom

This thread now has one of those! (At least before I clicked on it to open it there was one there…)

But when I looked at Thorsten’s corporates thread just now, I didn’t see one of those symbols there! :shock:

Amy

And now, after my last post, it’s [size=134]GONE![/size] :shock: :shock: :shock:

And now it’s there again! What’s going on? :shock:

Did you do it on purpose, dear Amy? Why don’t you want us to pronounce Torsten’s name? You really made it very difficult to pronounce!

Tom

Sorry, Tom, but Torsten spells his name the wrong way! He’s the only “H-less” Torsten I know! My fingers simply forgot that as they were typing. :lol:

Hi Amy and Tom,

As for the dog eared book, it takes you to the last post in a thread. Let me know if this is what you are referring to?
T[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Happy scholars[YSaerTTEW443543]

Sorry, Torsten, it does not. When I opened your thread For Corporates?, I read your question first and Amy’s answer later, although her answer was the last post of that thread.

Tom, there are two dog eared pages, one is in orange and marks a new post that you have not read yet, the other takes you to the last post of a thread.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: An accident[YSaerTTEW443543]

This one, on the left of a thread name?
New (unread) post(s), yes.

[b]

[/b]

It was there again, Tamara! Unread by whom?

Tom

Hi Tom

If I understand Tamara correctly, that little thing doesn’t (only) mean “new thread”, it also tells you that someone has posted something new in an existing thread.

Amy

By you, personally :slight_smile:

The forum software keeps personal records for each member/ user account.
Roughly speaking, all forums posts are marked as ‘read’ or ‘unread’ – for you personally, and by (at?) the current moment.
As well as for every other member, personally.

So, each forum member, when logged in, has its own personal ‘picture’ (in terms of colours and arrows) :slight_smile:

When you log in, you can use the function ‘View posts since last visit’ and you will be given a list of threads that have at least one unread (by you) post, from the last your visit (= logging in, not just reading the threads as a guest).
All those threads with unread posts are visible (for you) being marked with that above orange dog-eared book.

You can also use the function ‘Mark all forums read’ - and all orange books (at the moment of calling the function) will become white (= marked as read).

While you’re online, all threads that are currently added by new posts (except your own posts! :)) will automatically marked with (by?) that orange-book-and-arrow.

If you log out, all unread posts will be automatically marked as if you have read them. So, the next time you log in, they will be visible (for you!) ‘in white’ (even though they are still unread by you).

Hope, Slava will correct me, if I made any mistakes in my ‘impromptu explanation’.