Americans in the forum

Thanks Mr. James for your honest piece of information giving!

That’s what I had wanted, then I presume the British are the doyens of English.
This means their definitions of words should be taken as final.Since they are the carriers of English.
Mr. James your information has taught me much to my lots.
Thanks. God bless!
Have a nice time.

I have an American friend here in my country and when asked, she told me in New York where she stays has no native language spoken there. As you said I guess she felt ashamed to disclose his native tongue.

Mr. Adu:

I think that some people may disagree with you!

This might be a good question for the “What do you want to talk about?” forum.

James

P.S. Regarding your New York friend, maybe it all depends on the definition of “native language.” I believe that there are Native American tribes in the state of New York. Furthermore, many Europeans migrate to New York, and their native language is not necessarily English.

James

Hi, Mr. James, let me bother you with my question.
What is the actual difference betweentribes and ethnics.

Thanks for your kind feed back.
But do actually speak your native tongue?

Hello, Mr. Adu:

Thank you for your note.

I am definitely not qualified to answer your excellent question.

I suggest that you start a new thread with that question. I am sure that you will receive some helpful replies.

Have a nice day!

James

I think you mean ‘ethnicities’ or ‘ethnic groups’.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Restaurant employee is promoting dinner specials[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi,
Though missing out on that rather informative discussion concerning ‘two nations divided by a common language’, I’ve just stumbled upon this: “second-guess 1. to guess what someone is going to do or what will happen 2. American to criticize someone” \Macmillan
Not that I left no stone unturned, just an idle look at the BNC:
1/ The idea of trying to second guess those advisers is wrong. 2\ No attempt was made to ‘second guess’ the effects of any new policies that might be adopted in future. 3\ It is a bit unfair of Opposition Members to ask Ministers to make judgments on or second guess what tribunals do. 4\ The people just have to trust the administrators at a certain point, rather than trying to er second guess all of their decisions. 5\ I’m not going to second guess her decision, we will work with her and we will work with her government.
–With no context, will Americans and Britons be unanimous as to what meaning (1 or 2) was implied?

Hi, one of the languages spoken by Native Americans was Cherokee. This was only a spoken language though, until one Cherokee, Sequoyah, took it upon himself to create an entirely new writing system for the Cherokee language. They guy was a genius and was a bit obsessed by this goal - here is a fascinating radio program about it - you can read or listen or both, as there is a transcript included: slate.com/articles/podcasts/ … t_for.html