Agree/disagree? The rules that societies today expect young people to follow and obey are too strict. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

Happy New Year! I should be grateful if you could provide some feedback about my essay. Is it relevant to the topic? it is coherence?

Society can be defined as a group of people who share location, follow same traditions, and speak with the same language. As the time goes by, societies, not except from other life aspects, has been drastically changed which result in updating and providing the rules and regulations for such a sophisticated world. I think through these transitions, the rules become so strict especially for young adults. New restrictions in the name of safety to prevent future failure and putting younger’s adult life under microscope as a result of proliferation of social media are two main constraints that a juvenile should deal with.

Nowadays, it seems that there are some unwritten rules that a young child should follow to be successful in the future. Needless to say that most parents put pressure on their child to study hard to get admission from a “well-known” university to “increase” their chance for their future job. Although these sequence of actions may result in finding a job which considered as a so-called “success”, however, we have to look closer at the explanation of success. I totally agree with Albert’s definition “Success is not the key to happiness, happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” But I cannot see any relation between this definition of happiness and the aforementioned path that parents provide for their child to achieve success. It goes without saying that most of today’s graduate students just target popular universities and major, regardless of their own interest.

It is true that social media and new technology make people closer to each other, Nevertheless, it seems that all people around the world are watching us! There are no specific rules for such technology despite their claim about privacy policy. In such a case, young people are more vulnerable to be influenced by society compared to adults; they are still at the beginning of their adulthood journey. I remember around two years ago, my friends and I went to a bar to relax after a heavy load semester. Bob, one of my friend, drank a lot like there is no future. He made fun of our university’s principal by mimicking his speech. No one knew that the video tape that supposed to be a fun memory to ourselves, became viral. After this disaster, wherever he went university staff looked at him like he was a murderer and he felt that he is left out. Although he apologized to our principal later, we all learn a lesson; society is not as kind as our friendship group.

To sum up, society, even the parents, put more restriction on young people’s life. The designed one way of success without considering children’s talent and happiness, and observing every single movement and judgment of society, are two main reasons for such a condition.

2 Likes

Hi again. Yes, your essay is quite coherent and I’m sure you’ll achieve the TOEFL score you are aiming for. As for the topic, in a couple of years universities, hierarchies and societies are going to drastically change and writing TOEFL essays for algorithms won’t be necessary any longer.

2 Likes