Aereal, at your service

I’ve got the placement of the tilde down, more or less (the “en-ye” letter), I think.

It’s not used anywhere else, right?

ah, bay, say, chay, day, A, effay, hay, achay, E, hota, kah, ellay, eh-yay, emmay, ennay, en-yay, O, pay, koo, erray, errrrray (hehe), essay, tay, ooh, vay (almost the same as B), doblay-vay, ay-kees, e-gree-A-ga, say-ta

hehe

Conchita:

how is the “ll” pronounced in Spain?

In Mexico, it’s “y” – pollo is po-yo.

In Argentina, on the other hand, pollo is po-sho.

In Spain, is it “y” or “sh”?

I’d be happier if you replaced the ‘ay’ by ‘eh’ (as in ‘bed’): ah, beh, theh (as in ‘theft’, in Spain)/seh (in America), deh, eh, effeh, heh, etc.

The Spanish ‘ll’ should be pronounced [lj] as in the Italian ‘figlio’, but most Spaniards say [j], as they do in Mexico, so it’s ‘poyo’ here, too.

I really enjoy the way Argentinians speak Spanish!

we have a very bright and enthusiastic fellow here… welcome to the site aereal…

Conchita:

-ay vs. -eh

Cool, thanks.

Is the “c” pronounced “th” everywhere in Spain, or only in Catalonia (Barcelona area – hope I got the regional name right)?

If “c” is “th” everywhere in Spain… then is it “z” that is “th” only in Barca’s region? (as in J.M. OlaTHabal)

THANK YOU FOR THE POYO CONFIRMATION!

I’d had a running feud (hehe) with my sister, who was once married to an Argentinian.

She adopted his dialect, which had the “sh” phoneme representing the LL letter.

Background:

My dad is the son of one of the main civil engineers of a large American paper-product company, so as a youngster my father grew up in multiple locations.

Among his childhood hometowns was some place in Mexico, where he learned to speak the lingua franca – Mexican Spanish, including the “y” pronunciation of the Spanish LL letter.

He’d speak a little bit of Spanish in the house, but sis and I gained the brunt of our Spanish knowledge in high school and college… and the trips to Cancun.

LL remained “y” to both prezbucky and his sister approximately up until the 21st century.

Then she met Federico and married him.

They subsequently moved to his native Arg, where she picked up the “sh” habit.

And whenever she came home, I would correct her… which would create an interesting situation:

• To my sister, consternation

• To my parents, well: “Tom, she lives in a Spanish-speaking country. She knows better than you do.”

Well, my dad knew, but he’s usually too busy eating to say much. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, I find. (in that case, anyway: eating)

hehe

So thank you for settling our argument: the real/original/authentic – Spanish Spanish, so to speak – way to pronounce it is as an American Y.

YES! BOOYAH, sis!

:slight_smile:

Going to have to shatter your illusions, Tom! The correct way to pronounce the double ‘l’ in Spanish is as [lj] (see my previous post) – ‘pollo’ should be pronounced [poljo], i.e. more or less as in ‘million’, but not many people do that (only in certain regions).

…which is closer to “y”. hehe

Polyo it is!

Do you cheer for Real Madrid, or Atletico?

I’m not sure – you tell me!

Well now, I can’t tell you – they’re both in Madrid.

Real Madrid are giants of La Liga (and Europe), along with Barcelona (Barca).

If you want to cheer for the underdog, you might want to go with Atletico Madrid.

have you ever been to the Bernabeu (sp?)?

Why do you think my nick is aereal? :wink:

P.S. cornelius thanks, and welcome too!

I’ve been in the area a lot (for the nice restaurants, mainly) but never actually inside the stadium, no. It’s in the Paseo de la Castellana – practically in the city centre, would you believe it!

wow… a big stadium, and a nice area, in the middle of a huge metropolitan area.

that sounds neat

aereal

a-HA!

I’ve finally figured out the etymology of your siggie… at least two-thirds of your siggie!