adequately answered

If a student asked how “some” and “any” was used in English and wanted to know the rules, would you say, as the speaker below did, that the question had been adequately answered?

Example conversation:

Intermediate-level ESL learner: Could you tell me how some and any are used in English and what the rules are?

Native/non-native respondent 1: Yes, We use “some” in positive sentences. We use some for both countable and uncountable nouns. Example: I have some friends. The exception is that use “some” in questions when offering or requesting something that is there.Example: Would you like some bread? (offer) - Could I have some water? We use “any” in negative sentences or questions. We use any for both countable and uncountable nouns.Example: Do you have any cheese? - He doesn’t have any friends in Chicago. (request)

Intermediate-level ESL learner: OK. Thanks for the help.

Native/non-native respondent 2: Erm, I think it’s not that simple.

Native/non-native respondent 1: Please don’t interfere. The question has been adequately answered. Kindly shut up and go away.

Ouch! Adequately or not, Resp 1 needs keelhauling. (It wasn’t me, was it?)

Why so?

She is rude.

And it were put in this way:

“Native/non-native respondent 2, the initial question here has been adequately discussed. Please don’t distract learners by saying when you think a response is not adequate. It’s both boring and misleading.”

Still rude?

Yep. I don’t think one respondent should presume upon another, generally (present company excepted, of course).

Never seen you be rude, as moderator, MrM.

Nice little stunt your pulling here, Molly.

Here’s what happened in different thread:

Learner: Can you use ‘who’ for animals?
Ralf: Yes, but you should only do that in case you want to attach human qualities to animals. Example: He’s a good horse who wins many races.

…13 comments later

Molly: Your example is wrong. Shouldn’t it be “He’s a good horse that wins many races”?
Ralf: Molly, the initial question here has been adequately discussed. Please don’t distract learners [color=blue]by singling out quotes and putting them out of context. It’s both boring and misleading. [color=blue](Please quote correctly)

Contributor Molly deletes his original comment and starts a new thread trying to lure people into saying “Ralf is bad.” Well done.

english-test.net/forum/ftopic26765.html

As I say, present company excepted, Ralf. Ain’t she a peach?