Active Voice vs. Passive Voice

Hi,

I’ve recently come across the sentence:
‘Night vision can only improve to the level of a healthy person’. It’s used in the following context:
‘However, increasing your carrot consumption won’t give you exceptional vision at night. It only has an effect if you have a Vitamin A deficiency to start with. Night vision can only improve to the level of a healthy person’.

Is there any mistake with the Active Voice use? Maybe, the sentence should be: ‘Night vision can be only improved to the level of a healthy person’ as ‘night vision’ is an object here.

“Improve” can be both transitive as well as intransitive. In your sentence improve is an intransitive verb which doesn’t require an object similar to ‘the sun rises in the east’. There are many other verbs in English that can be both transitive as well as intransitive. Another one for example is ‘sell’ as in ‘the new smartphone model sells extremely well’.

If you translate this phrase into Russian, you need a passive construction.

Please let me know if this makes sense.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: In which month were you born?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I’ve completely forgotten that there are the two types of English verbs. Yes, my assumption was based on the Russian passive construction. Thank you, Torsten!