Accents

Hi,

There’s been a lot of talk recently about American/British accents. For your amusement, I hope, I am offering some examples and asking you which part of the UK you think they come from.

Here is the first:

One of the problems in today’s society is trying to find out whether people are suffering unduly from the effects of recession or whether indeed they are unaffected by it.

Let me know.

Alan

hi Alan,
is that an irish accent I detect?

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. In fact I was attempting an accent heard in the centre of England around the Birmingham area. Here’s another:

‘When I was a nipper, we were obliged to learn a foreign language and favourite was Spanish. Well, I had a go and I suppose I learnt about two or three words in all. The thing is I’ve now gone and bought myself a house in Spain and so I’ve had to learn it for real. And I can tell you it’s a right pain in the neck. I mean I have enough problems with English, thank you very much.’.

What do you think?

Alan

Hi Alan,

is it Scottish?

Claudia

here’s my guess:
is that Cockney?

Hi Teadrinker,

Absolutely what I intended. It’s supposed to be an example of so called ‘Estuary English’ as spoken around the London area and South East of England.

In other words: You are spot on.

Alan

Hello Alan,

today I was reading a bit about the Cockney accent, because your rendition of it got me interested, and I came across the term “Mockney”!

Mockney, according to that article, is a fake Cockney accent. I think that’s pretty funny! I can’t believe there are people who are actually speaking a fake accent to make themselves look cool.

:lol:

I really hope you will continue posting various accents. Many of us who live in non-English speaking countries don’t get the chance to hear all these different English dialects. Nevermind that I will probably never guess them correctly.

Claudia

Hi,

I should say that the first ‘accent’ I did was intended to be of someone from the Birmingham area, which is slap bang in the middle of England. I’ll take up Claudia’s request and try another one:

In today’s period of austerity we have to think twice before we buy anything. With Christmas coming up it’s no good imagining that the sky is the limit if we are buying presents for children. Nevertheless money isn’t everything, is it? After all said and done it’s the thought that counts and thoughts certainly don’t have to cost the earth.

Where does he come from?

Alan

Hi again Alan,

As for me, it was the easiest for me to guess the Cockney accent by its ‘swallowed’ sounds ‘h’. In the last accent someting unusual happens to vowels and consonants sound a little bit harder. Does this accent come from the North of England?

Yuri

Hi Yuri,

The attempt here was to try to imitate the Northern Ireland accent.

Alan

Hi,

Today on this Monday morning I’m offering another accent for you to hear. Here we go:

The thing about the UK is that although geographically it’s very small, there are a lot of variations in the landscape. Near where I live there are a lot of hills and mountains and quite a few lakes. People around here are also very emotional - one minute they’re crying and the next they’re laughing their heads off. They’re also very good at singing and have lots of choirs. Don’t worry I shan’t attempt any singing. Well, that’s about it really - thanks for listening.

So where does he come from?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Scottish!?

Yuri

Hello Alan,

hm . . . I know that Scotland, North England and Wales have lots of mountains and lakes. But the accent doesn’t sound Scottish to me. My guess is that it’s Welsh English, although I don’t know about the emotional part, hehe.

Claudia

Hi Yuri and Claudia,

Thanks for your responses. It isn’t Scottish, Yuri. It is Welsh so Claudia you have as they would say in Wales: Hit the nail on the head. Congratulations.

Alan

Hi Alan,

But in my voice message there was a guess about Welsh accent. :slight_smile:

Yuri

Hi Yuri,

Yes, I’m sorry I didn’t quite catch what you said because sometimes your recordings are very faint.

Anyhow have a listen to this:

Sometimes people tell me that living in the countryside is much better because it’s quieter and more peaceful. But personally I wouldn’t like to be stuck miles away form the nearest city. The city I live in is great. There’s plenty to do. Loads of entertainment and bags of culture. No, I wouldn’t touch the country life with a barge pole.

Where do you think this is?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Such a pity, my computer is broken again and I can’t listen to your voice.

See you later.

Great regards,

Yuri

Hi Alan,

I know that after London and Birmingham, Leeds has lots of Entertainment, and the accent reminds me of someone rather to the north. My guess is the Leeds area.

Claudia

If any of you could do some of the american ones, that would be interesting, I don’t really differ the uk accents, to me they’re all either scottish or usual british, or heavy british …