About this meaning of ground

I’ve recently come across this sentence:

" In the middle of a pandemic when grounds are empty. Unless he’s up for a big pay cut. "

My problem is with the meaning of “grounds” there, I’ve never seen people use it that way, and I looked it up on a few web dictionaries and they don’t seem to feature that meaning of grounds. Is it an expression or something? I figure it means something like “wallets” or “pockets”, but I can’t seem to understand why.

Anyone have more information about that use?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to tell without further context. It can refer to all kinds of grounds such as play grounds, cricket grounds, coffee maker grounds, etc. I don’t think it refers to pockets or wallets, though.

3 Likes

My bad, I thought it was enough. This is the tweet I read:

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1298395074842234882

3 Likes

So he is talking about the football grounds also known as football stadiums.

3 Likes

Hi Ainspeed,

I agree with Torsten, but I’m sure you’d have better understood the message if you’d read the text again.
You’re a football fan, aren’t you?

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies, Torsten and Masme.

Yeah I’m a football fan, how about you? One of the many, many bad aspects of this pandemic was the lack of games to watch.

When I saw that tweet, money immediately came to mind, so I thought it meant something like wallet (like lacking base, or ground or something). I didn’t know about the use of ground to mean stadium.

2 Likes