About the usage of 'own'

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask about the usage of the pronoun/adjective ‘own’. I have noticed that sometimes I can use them both to emphasize that e.g. something belongs to someone but what is the grammar rule to when to use

noun+preposition of+possessive+own

or

possessive + own + noun

Sometimes I can use both, like:
-The dog has got a room of his own.
-The dog has got his own room.

But sometimes I cannot:
-We are dreaming of having a large house -> we are dreaming of having a large house of our own.
*we are dreaming of having an own large house
-It was Mrs. Grant’s dog -> it was Mrs. Grant’s own dog who died.
*it was Mrs. Grant’s dog of her own

How would you teach this to an ESL speaker like what’s the logic behind the whole “sometimes you can use only one own-composition, sometimes both.”

Thanks a lot!

Here are some ideas, but I don’t guarantee this is a complete or mistake-free answer to your questions.

"an own " (e.g. “an own large house”) is always wrong.

“<possessive pronoun/noun> of <possessive pronoun/noun> own” (e.g. “our house of our own”, “Mrs. Grant’s dog of her own”) is usually wrong or awkward. Sometimes you might hear expressions like “our very first house of our own”, where the insertion of “very first” eases some of the awkwardness.

Where both can be used, (1) “<possessive pronoun/noun> own " is approximately equivalent to (2) " of <possessive pronoun/noun> own”:

“his own room” ~ “a room of his own”
“our own large house” ~ “a large house of our own”
“Mrs Grant’s own dog” ~ (less common) “a dog of Mrs Grant’s own”

However, there are quite a few cases where (1) works but (2) does not. I think (2) most often has the nuance that someone has previously been lacking their own , but now there has been a change of state, and the person (or some other person or thing) is affected by this, usually (but not always) positively. So, you can say “Now I’ve got my own car / a car of my own, I can come and go as I please” or “Well, he’s got his own ideas / ideas of his own now”. However, when this sense of change of state and resultant effect due to acquisition is lacking, (2) tends not to work. For example: “I was bitten by my own dog”, not “I was bitten by a dog of my own”. Or “My own daughter stole from me”, not “A daughter of my own stole from me”.

Thank you a lot, that clarified the situation some. Excellent!