A tiny question for my dear teachers :)

Hi again it is me, here I 'd like to be fully-enlightened concerning what is called auxiliary, modal, helping verbs. I know it is a general thing to talk about; I should highlight my ambiquity in order to be fully-answered.

To conclude, I want to know what are the differences-if there are some!- between auxiliary, modal and helping verbs and what are their functions. Any additive relevant information will undoubtedly be welcomed.

Thanks my long-distance teachers!
Abdulqader

Auxiliary verb = helping verb.
A modal is a kind of auxiliary (or helping) verb which carries a speaker’s ‘mood’ about the action (possibility, probability, probity,etc)

May I add a few words to Mr. Micawber’s excellent answer?

Some auxiliary verbs:

(a) Tom IS reading a newspaper. (The word “is” helps us to better understand the word “reading.” “Is” usually means that the reading is happening now.)

(b) Tom and Sue WERE eating dinner an hour ago. (As you have guessed, the word “were” tells us the eating happened in the past.)

© Sue HAS just graduated from high school. (The word “has” helps us understand that her graduating was a recent event.)

(d) DO you speak French? (The word “do” helps us make a good question in modern English. Many, many years ago, English speakers would ask “Speak you French?” Then they decided to use the auxiliary/ helping verb “do” to make questions and to make negative sentences.)

Some modal verbs:

(e) CAN you speak Mandarin Chinese? (can = the ability to speak it)

(f) CAN I leave the room? (can = permission, please)

(g) On a bus, you SHOULD always give your seat to an old person. (“should” = good idea. P.S. I am an old person!)

(h) Everyone MUST eat food if s/he wants to live. (“must” = absolutely necessary.)