A question to be answered ( If you boil the water ...)

Hello

I wonder how you will answer this question.

If you boil the water it … into steam
(complete)

I would choose “will turn.”

I wonder if “If you boil φ water” would be better.

Haihao, that depends on the situation.

If I am referring specifically to water you have in a pot, for instance, “the” makes perfect sense.

If I am speaking about the general characteristics of water, it is appropriate to omit “the.”

I suspect the one word answer is ‘turns’
Scientifically, I suppose it would be
‘If you boil the water it evaporates into steam,’ though in that case I’d say that ‘into steam’ is superfluous to requirements.

Thank you both, but I’d still feel that “If you boil the water, it will turn into steam.” sounds like there is a possibility that other water or some water may not turn into steam even if you boil it. I mean, “boiling water 100% turns into steam” is too common a truth and fact to allow any particular water to take “the” to be turned into steam by boiling.

But I am sure “If you boil the water, it will turn into steam.” is perfect such as “the water” in a pot is demonstrated by a teacher or anyone, of course. Sorry for the rubbish.

The sentence probably isn’t the best sort of sentence to use to illustrate the difference between a zero conditional and a first conditional, but I would tend to use a first conditional if the sentence contained ‘the water’ rather than just ‘water’:

1st conditional:
If you boil the water (e.g. the water in a particular pot), it will turn to steam and the pot will eventually be empty.

zero conditional:
If you boil water (i.e. any water), it turns to steam.

[color=darkblue]____________________________________
[size=75]“We all boil at different degrees.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson[/size]

Yes, I thought that also,and I wanted to make sure I am right.

When I say “The water” I mean a pot of water f.

But we can also say : If you had boiled the water , it would have evaporated when talking about a pot or a certain situation. so I think this and that are alike.