-._.- a license card

A: I can take this out on the street?
B: No, not this. This is a toy car. But if it were a real car, you could take it on the street.
A: Have you got a real car?
B: Oh, sure but you can’t take it on the street.
A: Why not?

B: Because you haven’t got a driver’s license. Look, like this. This is my driver’s license.
See, I have a photo card and a license card.

A: If I had a driver’s license, then could I drive on the street?
B: Aha.

What is a “license card” ?

Is a license card another name for a driver’s license?

Thank you

1 Like

This term is probably outdated, as nowadays every driver’s license includes a photo of the holder. In the U.S., the driver’s license usually also serves as a “photo ID,” since U.S. citizens are not required to have a passport. Let’s see what our two US citizens @Arinker and @NearlyNapping ave to say about this.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Torsten :rose:

1 Like

It is a Licence Card authorizing the person in the photograph to drive motor vehicles on public streets!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Anglophile :rose:

2 Likes

I think the lesson here is about the word card.

There are many uses of the word card. In your wallet you might have an ID card, credit card, bank card, insurance card, library card, driver’s license, etc.

A driver’s license is a card, but it’s not normally called that. It’s just called a driver’s license.

Some people who do not have a driver’s license get a picture ID card. In the US there are official ID cards issued by the same agency that issues driver’s licenses. If someone has a driver’s license it serves a dual purpose of license and picture ID card. So they do not need a separate picture ID.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, NearlyNapping :rose:

Very nice explanation.

1 Like