a door, which is...

Are these both correct:

[color=red]1) He never went on top of the plane. He came in through a door, which is on the side of the plane.

[color=indigo]2) He never went on top of the plane. He came in through a door, which is obviously on the side of the plane.

Gratefully,
Navi.

[quote=“Navi”]
Are these both correct:
Don’t end sentences with a colon!

Don’t keep on. You’ve stated your case to Navi previously. Let people make up their own mind.

[color=blue]It is not just up to individuals to decide!
There are only 3 ways to correctly end a sentence: with a period, a question mark, or an exclamation mark.

[quote=“Navi”]
Are these both correct?

]1) He never went on top of the plane. He came in through a door
on the side of the plane.

[color=blue]Use this one.

Thank you both very much.

1a) He never went on top of the plane. He came in through a door on the side of the plane.

I think that implies that not all the doors were on the sides of the plane. All of the doors are on the sides, you see. There are no doors on the roof or under the place. So the phrase has to be non-defining. Saying that he came in through a door is tantamount to saying he came in through a door and therefore from one of the two sides. It would be enough to say that he came in through a door. However, the speaker wants to emphasize the fact that the door was on the side. He or she is stating the obvious.

I will try to put in a question mark whenever I am posting on this site. I really don’t think it is necessary, but I will try to do it. Old habits die hard though, don’t they?

Gratefully,
Navi.

Thank you very much, Canadian45,

Beeesneees had nothing to do with the way I write my queries. I post questions on many many sites. I am obsessive about English grammar and post questions ceaselessly. On all sites I post on, I use the same format and nobody (except you) has told ever told me that I have to replace the colon I use with a question mark. I am not saying that you are wrong, mind you. Nor that you are right. That is not the issue here. The point is that Beeesneees had nothing to do with the way I ask questions. She just voiced her opinion about it after you criticized me for my punctuation. That is all. She has not ‘poisoned’ my mind.

Englishtest was not the first grammar site on which I posted questions. I joined this site years after I had starting asking grammar questions on the net. My questions have always had the same format. They had that format before I had ever heard of Beeesneees. So she is in no way responsible for the punctuation I observe when I ask questions. It might be wrong, but I am the only person responsible for it. And the people who have been answering my questions for years and years have never found fault with it. Beeesneees is one amongst many. You might say the others just did not care to point out my mistake to me. That is quite possible. But there is no reason to single out Beeesneees here.

As I said, out of respect for you, I will try to put a question mark where you deem it necessary in my queries.

Respectfully,
Navi.

True, but there is also more than one way to consider where a sentence ends in the type of example under discussion. You appear to lack the ability and faith in the language to be flexible over it. The vast majority of others don’t have that problem. If Navi (and billions of others) wants to think of the sentence as ending at the end of the query, following the examples, then that is perfectly acceptable.