'a DIY enthusiast' – please, pronounce it for me :)

Hi

How do/would you pronounce ‘a DIY enthusiast’? Just ‘literally’?

(DIY – do-it-yourself)

Hi Tamara,

Yes, you spell out each letter and give each its full value as in V I P or P T O.

A

Hi Alan

Thanks.

My question was caused by my Russian background, as in informal spoken Russian some abbreviations - as VIP from your example - are likely to be pronounced by people as a ‘word’ - just [vip] (despite the same formal rules for pronouncing abbreviations as in English).

Hi Tamara,
I believe VIP is more an acronym than an abbreviation. However, I agree that in Russian there is no difference between the two.

Hi Pamela,

OR? Do you mean that they are two different notions?
And that there is any difference in definitions of acronym - in Russian and English? I know nothing about that.

Let’s just investigate it a bit. :slight_smile:

© Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary

As I know, in Russian also: акроним – это инициальная аббревиатура для НАЗВАНИЙ
(acronym = ‘initials’ abbreviation for names)
In the strict sense of the words.

So, in this strict sense, VIP is not an acronym - neither in Russian, nor in English (as it is not a name of something or somebody),
even though it’s an abbreviation in both languages.

Or show me where I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

PS
Hmm. Now, due to your note, I know more formal rules about pronunciation of “инициальных аббревиатур” in Russian :slight_smile:
Russian special dictionary for publishers

They are of three different types/groups – depending on the way of creating. And they pronounce and decline differently, depending on the type.
Wow!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

PPS
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/VIP - 98 different defintions/decoding : ) of VIP :slight_smile:

And they say it’s acronym, yes… but then… what about pronounced as a word (see the above definition I quoted)?.. :? :cry:

while we’re on the subject, O.B.G.Y.N. is a false acronym.

“Hey, Shelly, where’ve you been for the past two hours?”

“Oh, I went to see my O.B.G.Y.N.”

“Really, what’s that – Obnoxious Burglar Getting Your Niceties?”

“No… my Obstetrician-Gynecologist.”

“Oh, so you mean your Ob-Gyn or O.G…”

“No, my O.B.G.Y.N.!”

“Oh, brother…”

…Now, having opened Wikipedia and some other useful links on the subject (thanks, Pamela, for your PM), I’ve learnt a lot.

abbreviations…
acronyms (pure, false), apronyms (false, recursive, offensive…), backronyms…

OK…

(:?)